I was taking a look at the newest edition of Madison Magazine. One of the feature articles informed the readers of 62 activities they think every Madisonian should attend this year. Activities included checking out the Museum of Contemporary Art, take Meiko to one of the many great dog parks, shop on State Street, tour the Capital building, go to a concert at the Barrymore or Majestic, and many more cultural events around the city. Among these activities was a checklist “You’re not an official Madisonian until you:”
“Enjoy an ice cream or beer at the Memorial Union Terrace.
- I’ve had both-It’s one of my most favorite places to be in Madison enjoying beer and ice cream overlooking Lake Mendota with friends.
Scream your lungs out rooting for the badgers at a college sporting event.
- Ada took me to a Badgers football game last year against Penn State.
Stroll down State Street.
- My favorite shop on this street is called Pop Deluxe!
Take in the sights and sounds of quintessential Madison festivals: Willy Street Fair, etc.
- Rob, Meiko, and I went our first year in Madison to the Willy Street Fair.
Experience Madison’s lakes-on the water by boat or skis, around the water on foot or bike, or out on the ice in winter.
Make a lap around the Capitol Square during the Dane County Farmers Market.
- I LOVE the farmers market-pretty flowers, homemade baked goods, and fresh veggies/fruits.
Catch a show at the Overture Center for the Arts.
- I’ve caught shows at the Majestic, the Orpheum, and at the University—don’t they count?!
Watch fireworks set to music at Rhythm and Booms.
- I watched this my first 4th of July in Madison—I was two weeks old to Madison.
At least thumb through David Mollenhoff’s Madison: The Formative Years.
Cheer for the Mallards at the family friendliest of baseball games.
- Robbie and I went with a great group of friends last year-for FREE- I just flashed a smile and got us tickets.
Pack a picnic and listen to Madison’s favorite outdoor music session: The Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra’s Concerts on the Square.
- This is always so much fun, packing wine and snacks while sitting with the rest of Madison on the lawn of the Capitol square listening to really talented musicians.
Develop an opinion on Frank Lloyd Wright and his Prairie Architectural Style.
- I have opinions.
Realize that having so much fun stuff to do makes Madison great- even if you can’t get to it all!”
- Madison is a great place to live!
I’ve completed quite a few on that list. I want to give a great big “THANK YOU” to Ada for opening my eyes to many of the great activities that she has showed me! I guess I need to embrace I’m a true Madisonian, well at least for another 2.5/3 years until Robbie is done with his PhD and we get to explore another wonderful city!