If you’ve ever watched the Showtime series Weeds, you’ve probably had an annoying little song in your little head, all little day. It goes a little something like this…“Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky-tacky,” and on and on..
Every time I go to construct a Penny Roulette original, a different kind of little box, like a little bad habit, that song is on repeat in my head. Lucky little me.
My Little Boxes are craft boxes where I’ve decopodged stationary/scrapbook paper/fabric to the pine sides. Then to add a little decoration. I’ll get my handy little glue gun out to add trim or buttons, just no very little ticky-tacky.
the little box
Was the use of little a little annoying? My advice, fast forward through the opening credits of Weeds.
As I’ve mentioned before, I love Thursdays/Fridays/Saturdays/Sundays for the Garage Sales! I’ve become a little obsessed and my eyes are trained to find those little signs sitting so low to the ground. I’ve even become a sign critic. If you are going to have a garage sale follow these rules for signage…
- Arrows are always helpful pointing in the direction of your sale.
- Address (people have GPS systems now a days.)
- Days and times of the sale (some people put signs up the day before and it’s deceiving.)
- Don’t say it’s HUGE if it’s not, but if it is, DO!
- BRIGHT! NEON! LEGIBLE! (Draw attention to your junk, I mean, treasure.)
Some other tips for throwing a garage sale…
- Multi-family sales are amazing! (I like it when multiple families get together and have a garage sale. There is more to check out and I might not have seen a sign for the separate sales…
- Have a little bit of everything, not just kids stuff!
- Price accordingly, the reason you’re having a garage sale is to get rid of your junk! For example, don’t price paperback books at $5, (I’ve seen it) price them at $.25 or $.50…
- Have furniture out for sale even if it’s broken, people like to fix/reupholster those pieces up (like me!)
- If you have kids, I’m a sucker for lemonade, so help them make some and sell it for $.25! cookies, too!
- Don’t ask if the person is looking for anything in-particular, most of the time, we don’t know what we want until we see it.
Please share if you have additional garage sale tips!